Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What's Your First Stop On The Movie Wheel? #TensList with K.E. Shade #Historical #Romance

I'm taking a break today from my Writerly Wisdom Wednesday in order to showcase a new release (with a rockin' purdy!!) from my friend, K.E. Shade. 

I asked her for a Top Tens list of favorite romantic movies or books, so she gave me five of each! 

Without further gibbering from me, here's the lovely lady.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm odd when it comes to romance. I've never been one to watch a true 'chick flick'. I'm an action kind of gal. Not that full on sappy doesn't get to me, it's just not my first stop on the movie wheel. I was asked for a top ten of movies or books but I couldn't make a list that long, really. Some books it's been a whole since I read them and I read a broad base of genres to do that. So I decided to go with five of each—and put them in no particular order.

Books

Okay, bear with me on this choice. For me, the romantic element transcends the bond between a male and female fornicating. Sure, there's a small love story in it between and man and a woman but I'm not going to hone in on that. Instead, I'm going to talk briefly about the brothers bonded by childhood, not by bloodlines. Saul and Chris.
Two orphans that learn the ways of assassination. The bond between the two men cannot be broken, even when their mentor Elliot tries to pit them against each other. When one dies, the other avenges him.

That's right, I'm putting this one in the mix. Smexy werewolves and a love that is timeless. That's what I love about this one. Jem and Sean have loved each other for centuries. Each rebirth has them searching for each other again. Sean knows his mate by the bond he shares. She needs to be awakened on who she is but it doesn't come without difficulty.

Still, nothing stops their love. Don't believe me? Read the other books Ms Belfield wrote with these two characters. I dare you not to tear up reading Blue Moon.

Honestly, she's my all-time favorite romance writer. I just picked this one out of thin air. The cover is awful now. I had this one in paperback and it was the classic painted model cover with the bare chest. That's hot! This is a story about a pirate who steals the future wife of his brother to spite him. He never touches her virginity at first but she's a smart woman and tempts him, even after he surrenders her over to his brother.
It's truly touching to see the two fall in love. I'm sorry I can't recall more of the story as it's been a long time since I read it. Heck, if you love historical writing I'll always recommend Connie Mason. Most of the women are strong-head and the men are flummoxed by the females they 'think' they're controlling. Yeah, that's why I love this author so much. The women aren't doormats.

I can't just pick one. All the men are just so smexy and know their mate when they see her. How the women are the ones who ground the men from turning full vampire is so darky romantic. My heart flutters when a couple is one with each other and their need isn't lopsided.

Alright, I'm just going to start with this one because Kisten is starting to get Rachel hot and bothered. I loved there interaction and when he was killed off, I was curled up in a ball sobbing on the floor. How could Kim do that to us fans? Rachel was finally getting a  good relationship since her douche human boyfriend Nick plays his disappearing act.

A close second to Rachel's love life is Trent. I know she wants to bake his cookies. They've got a great chemistry, something completely different from her other relationship. That's actually a good dynamic to Harrison's Hollow series.Nick the douchebag, Kisten the hot and sexy vampire, and Trent that make Rachel's blood boil in more than one way.  We'll leave Al the demon out of this mess. He's more of like the creepy Uncle than a sexual interest.

***

Movies

Never mind that Russell Crowe is just plain intense in this movie as Maximus. I find the gladiator thing just damn sexy though, as the movie dictates along with history, most were slaves. We have a Roman soldier—General in fact—betrayed by an ambitious Caesar. Maximus has, or had, a family. Always with him are little statues that he always says a prayer over that they remain safe until he returns.
Of course, tragically, his wife and son are brutally murdered thanks to  Commodus all because Maximus refuses to follow a Caesar with no moral compass. Maximus is bent on revenge not only for what happened to his family but to what happened to Caesar Marcus Aurelius.
What I loved about this movie was the imagery throughout of golden fields, hinting at the afterlife. The end where Maximus is on the cusp of death and see his wife and son waiting for him before he snaps back to the land of the living. The passion on which he trudged to get his ultimate revenge just endears this film to me and, in its own way, has a nice romantic touch.

Brutally murdered along with his girlfriend, Eric Draven comes back from the dead to avenge her death. The graphic novel is a classic and if you haven't cracked it open, I suggest you secure a copy. It's a touch different from this movie.
Like Gladiator, you get glimpses into Eric and Shelly's love affair. Except this is every time Eric touches something that contains a strong memory. The dark images in the movie are really intense. Just when you think they everyone responsible for his and Shelly's death has gone to the grave themselves, one more task needs to be done. Sarah, a little girl that looked up to them both, is held hostage.
While Draven loses his immortality when the crow who pulled him from the grave is injured, he still has one thing up his sleeve to kill the man responsible for the whole thing. While he died right away, Shelly suffered and the cop who stayed by his side harbored all that pain. Memories are a strong emotion, much like true love. Draven rests at the end with his one and only love.

Romantic comedies are their own breed. We have the funny, near slapstick, antics. Annie isn’t really looking for love, mainly because her life isn't exactly in order. In fact, she's bitter and on the fringe of losing her best friend to the institution of marriage. She meets Rhodes, a cop, and they start to have a quirky relationship but Annie can't handle it so … she runs far away.
When, through her best friend, she starts to realize that she can't keep running from every relationship, she fights to get back Rhodes. So it's mostly a happily for now type of thing. The growth alone of where she started to where she ended up is great. She's still imperfect but willing to give what she feels for Rhodes a chance.

Oh yes, the classic Disney version. This one chokes me up every time and I KNOW what's going to happen. Belle sacrifices her freedom to free her father from the beast's clutches. But really. I think she was trying to get away from Gaston. This guy is unbelievably full of himself. I bet he French kisses his mirror.
Through the enchantment of the house, all the living knick knacks do their best to get the two together. Ulterior motive perhaps? If that rose in the glass dies, they're trapped too.
That last moment when the final petal falls when he saves her life. Her grief over losing the beauty within the beast is classic flood-inducing sobbing. But, come on, at the end when the Prince turns around and he looks more pretty than Belle. OMG.


Or, really, Firefly. In particular, I'm concentrating on the connection between Mal and Inara. She's a companion and he's essentially a space pirate. Together they fight crime! No, not really. The tension between the characters is of the hot and bothered kind. I think she does her companionships to irk him and his jealousy is priceless. The man loves her and won't say it but he's there to defend her at every turn.

***

Well there you have it. This list was harder than I thought to come up with. It's not that I don't read or watch movies. It's a matter of going through the catalog in my head and picking which one works for me in this context.
As I think on the romantic things I've listed, a good bit of them are similar to my latest release Muir Bhreatan. It's got the romantic element but so many other layers as well. Thanks, Terri, for giving me this challenge. I really had fun creating this list. J

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out the purdy!!


Click on image to add on Goodreads
Muir Bhreatan

Historical Romance
by K.E. Shade

Aedan O' Loinsigh's only love beyond the sea is his Kaitlin. Captured, he uses his knowledge of the seas to get back to his love.
Liberators of gold from the British on the high seas, Aedan O' Loinsigh and his brother have never shied away from a challenge on the open waters. Aedan's only tie to solid ground is the lovely Kaitlin who possesses him like no other. When the brothers are captured and awaiting execution, a mysterious man offers to free them if they pay off their debt aboard his ship. The brothers waste no time in agreeing to the proposal only to find their new lives are not much better than those of slaves. Desperate to reach Kaitlin again, Aedan must figure out a way to save not only the other indentured servants aboard the ship but get back to his true love. Salvation could come at a price. One that Aedan will have to live with for the rest of his life.





Purchase Link:



4 comments:

  1. Loved your movie list. My daughter's high school softball team had Bridesmaid as they unofficial team movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a blast making the list.

      Delete
  2. Susan, thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to see your lists! I thought Bridesmaids was hilarious. I also love Beauty and the Beast. I have never seen Serenity- but now it is on my list. :) Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete