Monday, August 27, 2012

Early #BookReview : After Dark (The 19th Year #1)


YA Paranormal
Release Date: October 31, 2012



From Goodreads:
What eighteen year old Mac Thorne doesn’t know will probably kill her.

In exactly eight months, five days, three hours and thirteen minutes, Mac has to choose what she’ll be for the rest of her life.

She has no choice but to pick. As a Changeling, it’s her birthright. To Mac, it’s a birthchore. Like going to school with humans, interacting with humans, and pretending to be human during the pesky daylight hours.

Once darkness descends, Mac can change into any supernatural form that exists—which makes her as happy as she can be. That is, until Winn Thomas, the biggest geek in her senior class figures out there’s more to what hides in the dark than most are willing to acknowledge.

In this first of the 19th Year Trilogy, Winn might know more about Mac than even she does, and that knowledge could end their lives, unless Mac ensures the powers-that-be have no choice but to keep him around.


My Review: 4.5 Stars



Have you ever thought it'd be cool to be a changeling? Change into a fairy or  siren? A dragon? Troll? Mac, the MC, has unbelievable changeling abilities - she can choose to be anything. Anything you've read about before.

This story is the beginning of her journey in finding which form she'll choose for the rest of her life. Before she turns 19, Mac must decide her fate - demon or angel, vampire or witch - and take her place on the Council.

Yummies:

1 - Winn, the nerd. The glasses-wearing, braino with muscles. He seems to be a contradiction at first. Mac finds him so hot (so how can the reader NOT?) yet he's a nerd. Works in the library. Didn't jive for me at first, but within a few chapters after his introduction, he became my new favorite book boyfriend. Cradle robber. Yup. That'd be me.

He's responsible. Grounded. Has a good head on his shoulders. He's the opposite of Mac. The perfect balance for her, an excellent supporting character.

2 - I love the fact that Mac is a changeling without limits. I've read all the changeling stories before, but a single character that can beome anything from the paranormal world?? Sweet.

Yuckies:

This book started a bit slow for me. Wasn't sure exactly why, though. The writing is excellent. Now that I'm finished, I think it's because I wasn't onboard with Mac. She's got a distinctive voice & is a fun character, but a bit too mouthy, bad attitude-ish for my liking.

Cocky kids get under my skin in real life, and I think that's why her mouthy inner monologues drove me batty.

Recommend:

Definite YES. I love snarky and while this was a smidge much for me, most will love Mac - adore her attitude. You'll definitely enjoy her unique story & get caught up in the questions she needs to ask - and the answers she'll be forced to face.

The major problem I think you'll agree upon is the fact it'll be at least a year 'til the next installment.

Let's go, Emi. Get writing!!!




Sorry the rest of you all will have to wait for Halloween to nab this book. hehehehe
It'll be well worth the wait, trust me!!

Click HERE to add After Dark to your Goodreads to-read.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, thanks for the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, I wanted to read it before but now I really want to read it! LOL! Thanks for posting the review.

    ReplyDelete