Friday, November 30, 2012

#MeetTheAuthor of After Dark, @emijgayle






Emi Gayle:

HUGEMONGOUS chocolate fan & awesome YA author of After Dark (19th Year #1).





A changeling capable of morphing into any imaginary creature – where and how the heck did you come up with this idea?

Emi: People often ask the question, 'if you could be any supernatural form/creature, what would you be?' right? Well, I asked the same question and then took it one step further ... 'what if you could be any supernatural form, but on 'x' point in time, you had to PICK one for the rest of your life?' And there we have the 19th Year trilogy! Literally, from one question came inspiration. :)

Mac is snarky with a capital ‘S’. Independent beyond anyone I’ve ever met. Did you base her character on someone you know, or did she just speak to your mind, begging you to write her story?

Emi: Mac has my mouth. She doesn't know when to keep it shut sometimes. She's totally independent and thinks her life is all mapped out, she'll get to it when she gets to it and everything will happen just like she's planned. That was me to a T in high school - specifically my senior year. Fortunately, or unfortunately for me, I'm not mythological - just a plain old girl. And, what happens to her, what she learns about herself in one year are things that took me yearS (yes with a capital S to properly control... not to say that she does a great job in controlling it. :)

The chocolate factor. Inspired by your own love for its smooth, luscious taste?

Emi: Absolutely! I'm a HUGE chocolate fan. HUGE. HUGEMONGOUS. :)  

Winn – yummy, nerd-like geek boy. Le sigh. What a precious supporting character he is! I fell in total book boyfriend love. What inspired him?

Emi: I didn't want a typical male. I didn't want a hot guy from the football team or a drummer in the marching band or the star soccer player. No, I wanted the guy no one expects to be the hero to BE the hero. Sorta. I wanted him to be the complete opposite of the main girl. I wanted the girl to be more like typical YA guys and the guy to be totally opposite so that what's inside has to be more important than what's on the outside and/or the perception to be. 

I know we’ll be seeing more of both of these two, but can you sweeten my thoughts just a tad? Pretty please? I foresee some major plot twists & turns, but can you offer a smidge of a teaser?

Emi: Oh, I wish I could, but I can't yet! BUT ... October 25th, the cover and blurb will release!! Yeah! So you'll get to know just what's coming. The one thing I will say is that Book 2 is completely from Winn's perspective! Yep, we get to hear Winn's thoughts on what's going on!

Once Mac makes her choices and we are forced to say goodbye to her, what’s your plan? Any ideas flitting about your brain for the next story or character?

Emi: Right now, not really. I have a supporting character that I've thought to bring back, but right now there is no story for him/her because right now, the trilogy is complete and that's it. Mac will 'make her choice' and Winn and she will suffer the consequences and there will be 'an end'. That's all I can say! :)

Lastly, as a writer I struggle with the editing process. The work of creating the stories which come to mind. How do you tackle this part of the process? What motivates you to get those ‘UGH’-able edits done?

Emi: I have no issue with edits. None. I love editing. Get the bones of the story in and let a few key people read it to check over and validate then off to my editor. That's the scariest part. If I can't make my editor love it, I gotta do MORE edits. Those are far harder from an editing perspective. :) But still, editing to me is the icing on the cake. And since I love cake and icing, especially chocolate, well ... there we go. It's perfect for me!

Thanks for having me, Terri!


Ms. Gayle’s newest release, After Dark, is now available!
Check out my 4.5* review HERE.


After Dark

by Emi Gayle
Release Date: October 31, 2012
Target Reader: Young Adult
Keywords: Paranormal Romance

Description

Recommended by USA Today HEA Blog

What eighteen year old Mac Thorne doesn’t know will probably kill her.

In exactly eight months, five days, three hours and thirteen minutes, Mac has to choose what she’ll be for the rest of her life.

She has no choice but to pick. As a Changeling, it’s her birthright. To Mac, it’s a birthchore. Like going to school with humans, interacting with humans, and pretending to be human during the pesky daylight hours.

Once darkness descends, Mac can change into any supernatural form that exists — which makes her as happy as she can be. That is, until Winn Thomas, the biggest geek in her senior class, figures out there’s more to what hides in the dark than most are willing to acknowledge.

In this first of the 19th Year Trilogy, Winn might know more about Mac than even she does, and that knowledge could end their lives, unless Mac ensures the powers-that-be have no choice but to keep him around.



Connect with Emi here:


Purchase Links:


Other Books by Emi Gayle:

Darkest Day

Darkest Day


Young AdultFiction, Paranormal Romance, Romance, Thriller/Suspense, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: Jan 6, 2014
Day After

Day After


Young AdultParanormal Romance, Romance
Release Date: May 6, 2013




2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Thanks SO much for having me! Chocolate rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my reading list. The cover is very appealing, and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete