Monday, October 1, 2012

#BookReview : Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss #1)



YA Paranormal 


From Goodreads:

After her boyfriend is killed in a car accident, high school student Wren Darby uses her hidden powers to bring him back from the dead, never imagining the consequences that will result from her decision.







My Review: 4 Stars



"Whoever said its better to have loved and lost sucks."

The emotions of this story grabbed me from the first page and affected me throughout the entire book. The MC, Wren's, grief and heartache are so vivid - tangible - that its hard not to feel what she does. First love found, lost, found again, with unimaginable consequences.

Zombie? Not quite. Morbid, though, just the same. While the cold marble feel of the 'undead' character reminded me a bit too much of Edward Cullen, I still felt it worked.

Yummies:  As much as I hate to admit it, the dark depression is really what had me turning pages. While the action is lacking, the emotional turmoil is not.

Believable character - Wren sounds like a teenager in what she says and how the setting is seen through her eyes. Nothing worse than an author struggling with an MC 20 years their junior which I tend to find in a lot of YA novels.

Consistency with voice and tense made me happy. Grammar? No oopsies that I saw. LOVE that.

Yuckies:  Lack of action, but it honestly wasn't a major yuck for me. I can't really say lack of tension, though, for Wren's internal struggles & pain is conflictual enough.

Typical of me - I dislike not getting answers. While the arc of the story is good, there are still too many questions left unanswered. I was happy to see the 2nd book is set to release the 18th of this month.  :) Hopefully Wren's understanding of who & what she is - and what she wants - will be answered.

Recommend: If you're in the mood for a light read this is definitely not it. If you want to know what true sorrow feels like, read this book.




1 comment:

  1. Boy, I'm passing this up for so many reasons. Thanks for saving me. Time is precious as I'm sure you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete