Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ever Go Apple Pickin'? #familytraditions


Three years ago I decided that I wanted to start a new family tradition - go apple picking for my birthday. We bundled up our 13 month old and set off to a local pick-your-own orchard. What a blast!!! We ended up with a pumpkin for each of us and a couple bags of apples. Yum.




The next fall we had a little addition to our family. Pipsqueak was only 9 months old, but that didn’t stop us. I put her in the boppy seat & away we went.






The following year was even more fun. Both girls were big enough to enjoy hiking around the orchard and pumpkin patch. Pipsqueak carried around the first ‘bapple’ she picked, munching little bite by little bite.




This year it rained. And rained. We finally decided to go on a weeknight after the hubs got home from work. Rushed through dinner & rushed to the orchard with an hour to do our pickin’. We ended up with two big bags of Macs and lots of smiles. It’s only been a few days, but I can’t wait ‘til next year.






 
Starting family traditions is one of the best things about being a parent - making memories with the precious gifts God has placed in our care. Hopefully my girls will cherish those moments long after they're making ones of their own.
Have you started any new family traditions? Still hold favorite ones from your childhood?

4 comments:

  1. LOVE those smiles on those faces! Traditions are awesome. As a kid, we always went to my grandma's for Christmas, to the point I used to call going to my grandma's for Christmas "Going to Christmas". It just wasn't right not being there. But on the 23rd, we always went caroling - ice, snow, cold, freezing cold or frigid freezing cold - we went, with our instruments and voices all out of tune, sometimes huddled together to keep warm. Good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like good times! I have a few of those memories myself. So thankful my parents helped make them special.

    Thanks for swinging by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I really should start one with my tiny family.

    A childhood tradition that I still have with my siblings has to do with Easter. We're all adults now but we still get our own Easter baskets full of goodies. We gather up as a family and go hunting for our eggs in the morning. We can't claim our Easter basket until we find the egg with our name on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do Easter stuff too, but I never heard / thought of the egg w/ names on them. Great idea!!!! Thanks so much for stopping in & sharing that with me. :)

      Delete