Tuesday, October 30, 2012

#MeetTheAuthor of Shadowborn @JocelynAdams




Jocelyn Adams:

Competitive Archer & Rockin’ Author of The Glass Man (Lila Gray #1)and Shadowborn (Lila Gray #2)


It’s no secret I’m a huge Lila Gray fan. I LOVE her attitude and lack of restraint. *snicker* So I’m wondering – where did she come from? Was your muse inspired by someone you know or is she a complete figment of your imagination?
Aw, thanks!  Actually Lila Gray is pretty much, sorta-kinda-like *cough* me *cough*.  Yes, I’m a little crazy, though not quite as crazy as my Lila.  Her “voice” is mine to a T, right down to the lack of a brain-to-mouth filter. 
Where / when did your love of the fae realm begin?
I didn’t really have a love of the fae.  I found most of the typical culture from folklore overdone and a little tedious.  I decided to re-invent them to suit the powers I envisioned Lila to have, while keeping the Light element and the Sluagh and scrapping pretty much everything else I know about the Fae.  Have I mentioned that I love writing fantasy fiction?  I don’t do research well.  Good thing I love making stuff up.  J
Liam Kane – delicious Liam – did you have any (real) person’s mug shot in mind when creating his character?
You know, I didn’t really.  He came from my own perfect image of an ideal man.  Rugged.  Good looking and strong.  A little on the alpha side of the fence.  Mmm, yep.  He’ll do.  J
I know this tour is for Shadowborn, but I gotta ask – The Glass Man (book #1) begins in Pennsylvania, my old stomping grounds. What made you choose that setting?
I wanted to start in the fall, which meant Lila had to be migrating south for the winter from Northern Ontario.  I also needed a place I could describe fairly accurately without climbing on a plane to do research, so I searched for terrain similar to that of my own locale so I could get away with fudging it.  Pennsylvania fit the bill.  It’s lovely and well-treed, just like Muskoka.
And now for some personal stuff. *rubbing hands together* Optimist or pessimist?
Hmm, can I choose option C and say I’m a realist?  I’ve always been the sort of person who has to work extremely hard to do anything well, which means I REALLY have to want to do it before I try, and even longer before I succeed at it—if I ever do.  I don’t dwell on it, it’s just the way I am.  I take life as it is most times.  Sure, I’ll admit to feeling negative about things sometimes, but I can usually talk myself out of it by reminding myself I have a loving family and a great life.

Are you a peace maker or do you start the arguments?
*snort*  Um … how to answer that?  *taps chin*  It depends on the company, I guess.  I don’t suffer idiots well, especially if they’re in-your-face, know-it-all idiots, so sometimes I’ll call them on whatever crap they’re spouting just because nobody else will.  Most of the time, though, I keep my lips shut lest I pull a Lila Gray and stick my size nine in my mouth.

What are you best / worst personality traits?
For my best I’d say perseverance.  Worst would be that I sometimes don’t communicate with people well.  *snort*  Sounds funny considering I’m an author, but fiction is different and far easier than reality.

Do you have any odd habits while writing?
No, not really.  If I need a minute to sort out a scene I sometimes play Angry Birds on Facebook, but that’s about it.  During my writing time, I’m pretty much a dog with a bone, gnawing away at the words until I’ve accomplished my goals for the day.

Any hobbies other than writing & reading?
I’m a competitive archer, though I haven’t shot much lately.  A few years ago I won the Canadian National 3D championships and the Grand Prix.  That was pretty neat.

Lastly, what motivates you? (In writing or for getting out of bed in the morning.)
Hmm, in writing, it’s that drive to be better than I was yesterday that keeps me going.  I want to entertain, to suck someone into my world for a while and make them feel.  As for life, what gets me out of bed in the morning even when it’s darn cold—that would be my hubs and my wee turtle.  Love ya babes!



 Ms. Adams' newest release, Shadowborn is now available!
Check out my 5* review HERE.


Why me?

That’s the question Lila Gray asks every time yet another bad guy tries to destroy the earth, and she learns she’s the only one who can stop it. Once again, something’s on the prowl, leaving hundreds of comatose, soulless victims in its wake.

Couldn’t the deadliest assassins of the Otherworld go after someone else instead of the brand new Queen of the Seelie? One who still hasn’t adapted to her new role.

Lila would ask Liam Kane, King of the Unseelie, for advice, but something’s off with him, too. He’s holding back. In some way. About some thing. In fact, he refuses to tell her what’s going on.

The truth holds Lila back from the greatness of her role—the people she was born to lead—the man who she desperately loves—and the solution to the latest war raging around her.

To find the answers, she’ll need to fight through her own darkness and embark on a journey through her psyche.

If she doesn’t succeed, the Shadowborn will claim not only her world, but her soul.





Connect with Ms. Adams here: 

Purchase Links:

Shadowborn Amazon, Barnes & Noble
The Glass Man:  Amazon, Barnes & Noble



No comments:

Post a Comment