Thursday, October 18, 2012

This Time Of Year I Get The Urge To ...


BAKE!

Probably because of all those apples we picked a few weeks ago.
We’re talking apple turnovers, apple cake, apple pie, caramel apple cheesecake, apple dumplings, and while it’s not really baking - honey-mustard chicken and apples, pork with squash and apples, homemade applesauce, & apple butter.
*wiping drool from chin*
Yup. I could spend every fall day in the kitchen slaving away. It’s therapeutic – soothing to an overworked muse in desperate need of a break. I’ve been doing a lot so far, but it’s going to slow once November and NaNo starts up.
Figured I’d let you all in on a delish family secret recipe. One my mom started making years ago & I still can’t get enough of … apple cake.


Apple Cake
4 eggs
3c. flour
1c. oil
3 tea. baking powder
1/2 c. orange juice
4-6 apples
*Beat all but the apples together in a large mixing bowl. In a well-greased sponge pan alternate batter and apple slices, ending with the apples. Sprinkle a mixture of 3 tea. Cinnamon and 3 Tbl. sugar on top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


What bubbles up within you once the leaves start turning? Any favorite recipes you’d care to share?

2 comments:

  1. My grandmother loved her apples. She had several apples recipes, but apple cake was one of her favorites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best! In fact, I'm making one today for some friends who are coming over tonight.

      Thanks for stopping by! You're the best!!

      Delete